[LAU] Installing Google Voice Chat for Linux on Fedora instead of Debian

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 00:00:56 UTC 2010

Two responses, one message:

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> sure, and its reasonably easy to at least guess why: what is the
> "default" ALSA device on the affected system? what does aplay -D
> default do?
>
> i should stress that i *have* pulseaudio installed, and the few gnome
> apps that i have on my system (fedora) do not attempt to use it.

Then how about if you try killing your pulseaudio (that your devices
are not attempting to use so it shouldn't matter, right?) and see
whether the same thing happens. Unless I've woefully misconfigured my
system (some would say my uninstalling pulseaudio is a
misconfiguration), I imagine you might be able to get the same
"socket(): Address family not supported by protocol" error that got me
to switch to KDE....

For example, here's a standard gnome program (that I use regularly,
since ksnapshot generates garbage)  that really shouldn't be
contacting pulseaudio, but it does, every single time it writes out a
screenshot:

> gnulem-242-~> gnome-screenshot -i
> socket(): Address family not supported by protocol

(One might think it was an audio prompt to select a window, but the
message is emitted after the snapshot is taken, and seems to cause a
short timeout delay in the program before the captured screenshot is
rendered. Note that my gnome preferences are set to "no desktop
sounds" and yet this unnecessary check to see if pulseaudio is running
is done anyways.).

W/r/t the query, what does "aplay -Ddefault" do:

gnulem-243-~> aplay -Ddefault 14854__reinsamba__Nightingale_song.wav
Playing WAVE '14854__reinsamba__Nightingale_song.wav' : Signed 16 bit
Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
[ ... sound of bird chirping played ...]
^CAborted by signal Interrupt...

To emulate the environment where I'm seeing the problem, we need to
use a different configuration entirely (long story).. however that
does the exact same thing, play back a sound, immediately and without
any pulseaudio messages (which is not what I see out of most programs
that have this behavior).

gnulem-244-~> env ALSA_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/share/alsa/alsa-bsoundrc.conf
aplay -Ddefault 14854__reinsamba__Nightingale_song.wav
Playing WAVE '14854__reinsamba__Nightingale_song.wav' : Signed 16 bit
Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
[ ... sound of bird chirping played ...]
^CAborted by signal Interrupt...

/////////////////////////////

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Philipp Überbacher
> What I wonder about since a long time is how to set this kind of stuff
> without gnome/gconf.

Use a text editor on ~/.gconf/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/%gconf.xml
and be sure to use &-escapes, e.g. "alsasink
device=&quot;hw:Headset,0&quot;"

Or do
gconftool-2 --type string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosink "alsasink"
gconftool-2 --type string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink "alsasink"
gconftool-2 --type string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/chataudiosink "alsasink"

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com