[LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Thu Sep 9 15:35:04 UTC 2010

On 9 September 2010 at 17:24, "Kjetil S. Matheussen" <k.s.matheussen at notam02.no> wrote:

> Your point was not hidden, it was wrong. Some of the hot stuff is
> also the stuff which is sensitive to heat. If you put the CPU
> and the PSU at the top of the case, they will be heaten up by
> hard drive, motherboard, etc., and they will cause more noise
> than if you had putten them at the bottom.

You might be right.  I haven't done the experiments myself to
determine which ends up being cooler.  All my comments were
based on a research paper I read on how to keep rack mounted
test equipment cool and reduce the number of failures due to
heat in the rack.  Their conclusion was to put the power supply
(especially) and other hot gear at the top of the rack, near the
exit vent and fan.  They demonstrated lower temperatures and
lower failures by doing so.  I extrapolated to computer cases,
and maybe that was a mistake.

The classic computer tower designs I see are power supplies at
the top with their own exit fans, and CPUs right below the power
supply with a case fan blowing in on the CPU and a CPU cooler
drawing air from there and blowing it away from the CPU.

Does anyone know of any research papers on tower style computer
cooling?  Of special interest would be reports related to
placement of heat sources, cool air intake and hot air exit
vents.

Thanks...

--
Kevin