[LAU] jack1 and jack2 (jackmp)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Sep 9 17:39:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Julien Claassen <julien at c-lab.de> wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>  I was wondering: Since I had some troubles of late with my jack1, I'd like
> to instal jack2. But: Are they API and binary compatible? So would I have to
> rebuild all my JACK apps or will it still work?

you do not need to rebuild anything.

the only thing that you must do is to ensure that either:

    1) you remove the existing version
OR
    2) you overwrite the existing version

how easy (1) is depends on your distribution. apt-based systems are
hard to use for (1).
for (2) you need to build from source with --prefix=/usr (assuming the
previous version was installed normally)

if you end up with 2 versions of JACK things will break. this is true
even if they are two different versions of the same "family" of JACK
implementations.

--p