[LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 17:45:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 8:54 AM, rosea grammostola
<rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all the info so far.
> I have gathered some components:
>
> Processor: i5 750
> Heatsink: ?
> MB: Asus P7P55D
> Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB(2x2GB) PC3-10666
> HDD: 2 x Western Digital WD5000AADS (Bulk, Caviar Green) (500GB)
> Case: Antec SOLO
> Fan: Nexus 120mm Real Silent case fan
> DVD: Lite-On iHAS124 24xDVDRW
> PSU: Seasonic S12II, 380Watt, ATX
> Screen: Lenovo L1951p 19" or ThinkVision L197 19inch (1440x900) Wide
> Flat Panel LCD (Analog/Digital) HDCP TCO 03,MPR-II
>
> Comments are welcome.
>

> \r

As I see you are buying 2 500GB hard drives can I suggest
(unfortunately at higher cost) the WD Enterprise Class RAID capable
drive?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EMZPD0/ref=oss_product

These drives have much longer lifetimes and are completely RAID
compliant with features like time limited recovery.

I tried to set up RAID1 and RAID0 with the 1TB version of the Green
drives you are listing and they simply didn't work well. A lot of
these Green Series drives park the heads quite quickly (to save power)
but unfortunately this causes them to wear out faster. They are I
think generally better suited for machines that aren't on all the time
or in heavy use. Watch your SMART data if you go that way.

Why 2 drives by the way? One for the system and the second for audio?

Note that these RAID drives do tend to be a bit more noisy, but not
terribly, and may consume more power so you'll likely need to do a bit
more noise control than with the green drives.

As for the DVD take a look at the Optiarc AD-7240S as a drive that
seems to work very well with cdrecord and I think Linux in general.

Hope this helps,
Mark