[LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 04:27:48 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 8:54 AM, rosea grammostola
<rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all the info so far.
> I have gathered some components:
>
> Processor: i5 750
> Heatsink: ?
> MB: Asus P7P55D
> Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB(2x2GB) PC3-10666
> HDD: 2 x Western Digital WD5000AADS (Bulk, Caviar Green) (500GB)
> Case: Antec SOLO
> Fan: Nexus 120mm Real Silent case fan
> DVD: Lite-On iHAS124 24xDVDRW
> PSU: Seasonic S12II, 380Watt, ATX
> Screen: Lenovo L1951p 19" or ThinkVision L197 19inch (1440x900) Wide
> Flat Panel LCD (Analog/Digital) HDCP TCO 03,MPR-II
>
> Comments are welcome.

OK, I brought up 2.6.33.7-rt29 tonight. It runs, but I am seeing some
video problems. However I'm not sure they are any worse than what I
see on 2.6.35-gentoo-r5. (The newest kernel) They seems to be related
to running firefox-bin (the 32-bit version) with the 32-bit version of
Flash so that I can watch Hulu. The platform basically works. I'm
running KDE with 2 screens, glxgears at about 1400FPS, Firefox-bin
running Hulu and a few other things. It works, but if I try to move
Firefox from one monitor to the other X completely crashes.

I do not, however, think that has anything to do with rt-sources as I
sometimes see the same thing running the Gentoo kernel with the Intel
video driver.

If I was building something new at this point I don't think I'd rely
in the built in graphics device and would probably choose Nvidia once
again. Intel graphics doesn't seem stable enough under Linux right now
to recommend. No problems under Windows, but Linux is sort of hosed.

- Mark