[LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 15:09:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 11:09 AM, rosea grammostola
<rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Processor: i5 750
>
>> I tried to set up RAID1 and RAID0 with the 1TB version of the Green
>> drives you are listing and they simply didn't work well. A lot of
>> these Green Series drives park the heads quite quickly (to save power)
>> but unfortunately this causes them to wear out faster. They are I
>> think generally better suited for machines that aren't on all the time
>> or in heavy use. Watch your SMART data if you go that way.
>>
>> Why 2 drives by the way? One for the system and the second for audio?
>>
>> Note that these RAID drives do tend to be a bit more noisy, but not
>> terribly, and may consume more power so you'll likely need to do a bit
>> more noise control than with the green drives.
>
> One drive for / and /home, one for backup and audio
>
> The plan was not to go for RAID, but wait till the SSD gets cheaper...
>
> I have no experience with RAID...

I was not suggesting you use RAID. I was suggesting you possibly buy
data center drives (which happen to be RAID capable) because they have
better specs, last longer and don't cost all that much more (as a
percentage of the complete system cost) than green drives. Either
drive family will likely work well for you.

As for the fan I purchased a CoolerMaster V8 and found that the thing
was so tall that it wouldn't fit in any of my cases, not even the
fuller tower CoolerMaster Cosmos. Make sure you work through all the
dimensions of your system before you buy one of these monster fans.

Again, for a silent PC at a reasonable price I'd still probably look
at water cooling first, but I've never actually built one so I have no
experience to lend to the discussion.

- Mark