[LAU] new 64 bit adobe flash player for linux available

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 22:16:49 UTC 2010

On 15 September 2010 23:08, Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> Niels Mayer wrote:
>
>> Who knows, maybe someone figured out a way to 'sploit flash, and
>> combine it with this
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/15/linux_kernel_regression_bug/
>> so Adobe pulled it until they could fix the flash part. :-)
>>
>> I for one didn't like running the pulled-by-adobe 64 bit flash
>> binaries long after their time was up, so i'm glad to finally update.
>
> I used to use the 64 bit Adobe flash plugin, but when they yanked
> it, I started using Gnash (version 0.8.8 in Debian Testing).
>
> The Gnash plugin works for Youtube (one of the main valid uses
> for Flash) but doesn't work with Vimeo and a couple of others.
>
> The Gnash CPU load is a bit higher that the Flash plugin but I
> use it with the FlashBlock firefox plugin:
>
>    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433/
>
> so that is rarely a problem. The FlashBlock plugin also has the
> advantage of disabling all that crappy Flash web advertising. For
> any Flash object on a page I actually want to watch I can re-enable
> just by clicking on it.

I prefer NoScript, which has the advantage of blocking everything
except HTML (which is also its disadvantage) - or it can do - it works
by allowing/disallowing websites - <massive exaggeration>it's then you
discover there's about fifty different websites tracking your
movements every time your view a single page.</massive exaggeration>

James.

> HTH,
> Erik
> --