[LAU] ambidec: number of speakers and sound card configurations

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Fri Sep 17 22:10:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 03:24:42PM -0600, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:

>  I'm still reading up on ambisonics in general, but i'm not sure how
> a full 3rd order system would be set-up as far as sound card
> outputs.
>
> The screen shots seen here
> http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/adec-pict.html suggest that
> ambidec can be used with 24 speakers, i'm confused by this idea.
>
> I am keeping my system simple and going directly from sound card to
> amps then i have a max of 8 speaker outputs (it's ambisonics so they
> are not 'channels' in the conventional sense. There are only 4
> channels for b-format). Well my sound card only has 8 speaker
> outputs.  In fact the only 'sound card' i have seen with 24 outputs
> is something like an RME MADI capable system.
>
> So then, would i use 3 sound cards together if i wanted to run
> ambisonics though 24 speakers? How would i avoid drift? That's what
> a master-clock is for right?  Can you run 3 sound cards with jack
> and keep them all synced up so that ambidec can send 24 speaker
> outputs of data to lots of amps or do you need one of these
> http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_m32da.php + the companion board.

Forget about 24 channels. An 8-channel system will provide first
order with height (cube or dual rectangle decoder), or up to 3rd
order for an horizontal only system.

If you want more channels, forget about combining soundcards,
just use *one* that has the required number of channels.
RME's MADI interface will give you 64, that should do.

Ciao,

--
FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.