[LAU] some apps picked from Linux MAO

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon Sep 20 00:08:46 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 05:56:11PM +0200, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> l?rdag 18 september 2010 16.58.51 skrev  Dave Phillips:
> > FB01 Sound Editor - http://sourceforge.net/projects/fb01editor/
> > Patch editor for an old but useful Yamaha 4-operator FM synthesizer.
>
> Hey, I had an FB-01 in the late 80's and the beginning of 90's :-)  !
>
> I used it mainly for doubling real bass guitar on recordings and I still miss
> this little box, oh, time is running..

Yep. I had the Roland alternative, the MT-32 "SoundCanvas", also known as a "Cheese Canvas", or "white noise generator". I got it because the piano sounds were better; in fact most of the "real instrument" sounds were better than the Yamaha.

But that FB bass sound is classic 80's, particularly for hip-hop and pop. It seems like it was forbidden to  put out a record back in those days without doubling the bass with a Yamaha FM synth of some kind.

-ken