[LAU] meegolem -- adding rpmfusion, fedora and planetccrma repositories to meego

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 04:44:06 UTC 2010

I've created a monster!! (Very well behaved too).

I got sick of the total lack of applications on an otherwise
decent-seeming http://meego.com Netbook distro, so I took matters into
my own hands. For example, I was unable to play MP3's or other
"proprietary" encoded media on a meego netbook, which seems like a
major fail compared to many other distros (Fedora, Ubuntu) where
nonfree codecs are easily made available for download even if they're
not included in the original distro.

Basically, I wanted all the usual apps I enjoy on fedora plus all the
gstreamer plugins needed to decode MP3s, windows-media, etc. I was
also missing numerous libs from rpmfusion (e.g. ffmpeg) needed to
compile multimedia applications... Since Meego appears to be nearly
fedora13 i686, this is relatively easy to do:

I added the desired repos to /etc/yum.repos and hand-edited until they
were in the shape i wanted them to be in. In order to prevent
incompatibilities with a normal meego "yum update" I setup all the
repositories as "disabled" and then they can be
individially enabled with "--enablerepo" e.g.

"yum --enablerepo fedora --enablerepo updates --enablerepo
rpmfusion-free --enablerepo rpmfusion-free-updates --enablerepo
rpmfusion-nonfree --enablerepo rpmfusion-nonfree-updates --enablerepo
planetccrma install qtractor qjackctl jack-audio-connection-kit
fluidsynth-dssi" will install the excellent programs
http://qtractor.sourceforge.net/ and http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net/
... After installing, I can plugin a USB keyboard (Akai LPK25), setup
routing in qjackctl, and run qtractor (with fluidsynth dssi plugin
synthesizer) and hear/record music. Works beautifully, even with the
built-in audio on an acer aspireone netbook.

Here's my /etc/yum.repos files to set this up (cd / ; tar xvzf ...)
http://nielsmayer.com/meego/fedora13+rpmfusion+planetccrma-repos.tgz
http://nielsmayer.com/meego/fedora13+rpmfusion+planetccrma-repos.README

Programs I've installed  and ran/tested with the new repository setup.
http://nielsmayer.com/meego/meego-fedora-progs.txt
http://nielsmayer.com/meego/meego-ccrma-progs.txt

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com

PS: one of the main hacks needed -- I had to install duplicate libs of
the following  (with an rpm --force), since the meego readline and
openssl were incompatible with that from fedora; both needed to be
installed simultaneously to make existing meego progs continue to
work, while also allowing new fedora or ccrma progs to run:

openssl-1.0.0a-1.fc13.i686 is a duplicate with openssl-0.9.8m-3.1.i586
readline-6.1-2.fc13.i686 is a duplicate with readline-5.2-19.9.i586

Without these libs forced into place, yum tries and fails to nearly
reinstall all of fedora over meego However, when these libs are setup,
they appear to stop the dependency cascade that happens when the meego
starts looking for fedora libs it can't resolve due to version-number
differences between distros.

PPS: note that my yum.repos setup doesn't interfere with a normal
meego update -- you have to explicitly "--enablerepo" in order to get
installs from the other repos:

[npm at jtm-desktop ~]$ sudo yum update
adobe-linux-i386                                         |  951 B     00:00
meego-core                                               | 4.1 kB     00:00
meego-core-updates                                       | 2.4 kB     00:00
meego-extra                                              | 3.0 kB     00:00
meego-extra-updates                                      | 2.4 kB     00:00
meego-netbook                                            | 3.4 kB     00:00
meego-netbook-updates                                    | 2.4 kB     00:00
meego-non-oss                                            | 3.0 kB     00:00
meego-non-oss-updates                                    | 2.3 kB     00:00
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update