[LAU] Some props for Linux Audio

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Wed Sep 22 04:11:40 UTC 2010

We played the Connecticut Yankee on Saturday (http://theyankee.com), a venerable and well-known room here for jam bands. The sound guy there has been around for many years and run sound for many, many bands in this genre. He was skeptical when I rolled up with an EEE and a M-Audio FastTrack Pro. By the end of the night, he gave the Linux Audio devs a big praise for the "killer sounds" I was feeding him. He compared them-- favorably-- with the Nord Electro which seems to be the standard board nowadays.

My tools of the trade these days are: fluidsynth, beatrix, C*VTS amp, CAPS analog delay, CAPS Monowynth, and Fons' autowah, all glued together with a small C daemon I wrote and a bunch of homegrown Python daemons and tools, and BASH scripts.

I'll pass along the thanks to the devs. It's great having "killer sounds" and Free Software at the same time.

-ken