[LAU] No batch processing on Linux?

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 09:20:06 UTC 2010

On 22 September 2010 10:11, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> Yeah, I am not saying it is anyone's fault and my CLI abilities are very
> basic. Also, even when I do research such stuff, I forget it quickly. For
> instance, I remember testing a CLI command to convert photos from one size
> to another. It was very fast and efficient and I was really convinced that
> it is much faster than firing up a GUI program. However, when I had to do a
> similar task some months later, at that moment I had no access to the
> Internet and I could not remember what command that was and how to use it.
> So eventually I had to give up.
> Same with file encoding. It does not come up very often, when it does - will
> I remember the command?

That's why you put such commands into a bash script so you have it for
reference.

for instance:

   #!/bin/bash
   # flac_to_mp3
   for f in *.mp3; do lame -v "$f"; done

Don't forget to make it executable:

chmod +x flac_to_mp3

A good reference is the Advanced Bash Scripting Guide:
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

james

--
_