[LAU] No batch processing on Linux?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Sep 22 10:59:09 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Wednesday 22 September 2010 11:11:49 Louigi Verona wrote:
> Yeah, I am not saying it is anyone's fault and my CLI abilities are very
> basic. Also, even when I do research such stuff, I forget it quickly. For
> instance, I remember testing a CLI command to convert photos from one size
> to another. It was very fast and efficient and I was really convinced that
> it is much faster than firing up a GUI program. However, when I had to do a
> similar task some months later, at that moment I had no access to the
> Internet and I could not remember what command that was and how to use it.
> So eventually I had to give up.
> Same with file encoding. It does not come up very often, when it does -
> will I remember the command?

Normally when I have to repeat a number of commands, I write a bash/sh-script.
That also helps in remembering. (One of the basic principles of programming
and administration, dry - don't repeat yourself.)

Only in this case of conversion/copying of files the resulting script would
have been to complicated for a ten-minutes hack (several subdirs with source-
files of ogg, mp3 and more as input converted to a target dir, preserving the
directory-structure while converting all files to mp3 when the target is the
mp3-only player and convert all to mp3 or ogg when the target is the mobile
player - thats the features that script would have needed), so I searched
aptitude for something and found the converter. It isn't as flexible as the
ideas I had for a script, but was faster to "write"...

Have fun,

Arnold