[LAU] PRESONUS V-FIRE on Linux ?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed Sep 22 13:47:00 UTC 2010

Hoi Svend-Erik,

I can't help you with the 1394 interface, but there's some other options:

On 09/21/2010 07:34 PM, Svend-Erik Kjær Madsen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just bought a pair of two older Roland VSR-880 to record my band
> during rehearse, I'm gonna use it with an analog mixer, but I would be
> pleased to be able to feed Ardour with some of the recordings too,

I have a VS-890 sitting around in the corner. I loved that device in the
late 90's - its built-in effects are great as well.

While one can access the raw data (either via SCSI or by simply taking
out the HDD) it's a proprietary format. However there's
http://www.thegoodlibrary.com/VSWaveExport.html - with some advanced
wine device-config and tricks (see the troubleshooting on the page) it
works on GNU/Linux.

The drawback is: you get the raw data as stored on the device: not the
mix (unless you bounce it).

Another option is to simply use MTC/MMC to sync ardour to the VSR-880.
I've used the optical S/PDIF-out to transfer two tracks at a time. It's
somewhat lame but WTH. In my case I spent much more time recording,
mixing & mastering so the few hours for transferring was negligible.

> but
> the only way to do it digital is through the R-bus which is a Roland
> thing, but i found this device
> http://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_vfire.htm and wonder if anyone here
> succeeded to install the device on Linux ?
>
> Maybe I used the wrong keywords but I can't find anything about it on
> Google.

The magic word is "ffado" (Free Firewire Audio Drivers)

http://www.ffado.org/?q=devicesupport/list

In particular  http://www.ffado.org/?q=node/108 says
"V-Fire Support Status: Unknown"

  http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=9
"V-Fire also comes with a software control panel enabling the user to
select the sample rate (44.1K, 48K, 88.2K, and 96K), latency, buffer
size and clock source."
Said software is only available for OSX <=10.4 and Windows XP. I don't
know if there's a FFADO equivalent, but neither qemu nor virtualbox
support raw1394.

ciao,
robin