[LAU] No batch processing on Linux?

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 16:06:36 UTC 2010

On 22 September 2010 22:07, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 September 2010 05:11:49 Louigi Verona wrote:
>> Hey guys!
>>
>> Yeah, I am not saying it is anyone's fault and my CLI abilities are very
>> basic. Also, even when I do research such stuff, I forget it quickly. For
>> instance, I remember testing a CLI command to convert photos from one size
>> to another. It was very fast and efficient and I was really convinced that
>> it is much faster than firing up a GUI program. However, when I had to do a
>> similar task some months later, at that moment I had no access to the
>> Internet and I could not remember what command that was and how to use it.
>> So eventually I had to give up.
>> Same with file encoding. It does not come up very often, when it does -
>> will I remember the command?
>
> I tend to document these things for myself in a wiki that lives on the lan.
> The suggestions for putting them in a script work well too.
>>
>> I will try Gnome SoundConverter, thanks for this GUI suggestion. CLI
>> suggestions are also very welcome, I will try them anyway, of course.

Oh, very interesting, because I tend to forget many important moves as
well. That is why, over the past few years, I have grown one huge file
called TRICKS in $HOME with verbatim commands echoed as and when they
are first used, and sometimes I would open up the file to add little
comments to make sure 10 years down the road I know what each of them
do/did.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD