[LAU] No batch processing on Linux?

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Fri Sep 24 20:49:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 8:40 PM, Bernardo Barros
<bernardobarros2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> also python scripts, right? :-)

Not so much.  Perl is far more trustworthy than Python 2.x when it
comes to strange encodings -- Python's troubles with multi-byte
character encodings are well known and the scale of change involved to
fix them is one of the main reasons for the general shift to Python 3
being so slow.  Nobody gets filename encodings right first time in a
Python 2 program.

Perl switched to Unicode strings in a minor release (5.6, a decade
ago), in a way that does the right thing so well as to be practically
magic.

Disclaimer: though I'm fond of Perl, I wouldn't really go for writing
anything big in it if you ever want to read it again. Python is much
more maintainer-friendly.  In this particular case, though, Perl is
very impressive.

Chris