[LAU] Subject: Albums under a label recorded and/or mixed with Linux

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sat Sep 25 16:47:33 UTC 2010

On Sat, September 25, 2010 6:12 am, James Morris wrote:
> On 25 September 2010 05:51, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, September 24, 2010 9:54 am, Folderol wrote:

>> Just out of interest, when did this become a fact?
>>
>> IIRC Fons suggested the sc4 compressor algorithm was similar to a
>> vocoder.
>> Apart from the multiband parametric, limiter and overall ui development
>> that are also part of the jamin experience, I have never heard anything
>> coming out of jamin that sounds remotely like a vocoder.
>>
>> I have also not heard of any other jack application that attempts to
>> provide a complete mastering tool chain.
>>
>> So, I'm not sure why jamin is now to be considered passe.
>>
>> Of course if someone else actually wrote something that was comparable
>> in
>> functionality then I would be more than interested to hear the results.
>>
>> But until that time jamin still stands as the only tool in it's class
>> that
>> I know of.
>>

> has development stopped because the devs just found other things they
> preferred to work on or were there good reasons to stop development of
> it?

Development hasn't stopped outright. It is more like on hiatus until
further notice.

The general consensus is that any improvements will be mostly focused on
the ui at this point so until someone who has gtk2 skills and the
time/motivation to work on it steps up there is nothing that *needs* to be
done to improve the user experience.

Although Fons has raised an issue with the compressor algorithm there
seems to be no one who is able to make it better who also has the interest
in doing so.

Although given that Steve Harris has pretty much dropped out of Linux
development, Jack O'Quin and Jan Depner are also very busy and I don't
have much inclination to get stuck into it either there is probably not
going to be much direct development from any of the core team in the near
future.

The list is still monitored and anyone who wants to improve it is welcome
to submit patches. They have always been accepted and applied to trunk
pretty quickly in the past.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.