[LAU] Script processing on Linux? Ruby?

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Sat Sep 25 21:10:56 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 9:37 PM, John List <johnlist at gulfbridge.net> wrote:
> So ... we've been talking about Perl and Python. Does anyone have any
> observations on how Ruby fits (or doesn't) into this picture?
> -Can it be used for scripting (the original subject)?

Yes.

Ruby is an effective and concise language that has a good enough
filesystem API to be used for scripting.  Its syntax is weird to an
eye familiar with C-style idioms, and surprisingly formally complex to
any eye (it isn't an elegant language with few special cases like Lisp
or whatever, it has quite a few oddities), but it is certainly a
language that some programmers seem to find friendlier and more
natural in many contexts than C, Python or Perl.

> -Is it as C-compatible as Python?

No idea.  I've only ever dealt with Ruby in single-language web applications.

Chris