[LAU] No batch processing on Linux?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sat Sep 25 21:24:26 UTC 2010

On Saturday 25 September 2010 20:21:22 Joel Roth wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 01:00:29PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > Porting parts of your python project to C/C++ is easy (think prototyping
> > in python and port to compiled-language once the interface is finished
> > and the optimizations begin).
>
> For optimizing perl, we have Devel::NYTProf, which
> profiles the time spent in each subroutine. (As the name
> suggests, the New York Times underwrote the development
> costs.)

Hm. The idea I mainly have in mind is not to optimize your python code, but
prototype your app with its functionality in python and when all works as
expected (more or less), port the time-critical parts to c/C++. Not because
python is slow (it is compared to native asm) in general, but because it is
definitely to slow for various tasks like audio. And because python afaik still
has the big interpreter lock, effectively suppressing any python multi-
threading. Which you work around by re-implementing your heavy-math parts in C
and run them outside the interpreter lock (but still from within threads
created and managed from python)...

Have fun,

Arnold