[LAU] No batch processing on Linux?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sun Sep 26 21:16:05 UTC 2010

On Sunday 26 September 2010 08:13:32 Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> Excerpts from Arnold Krille's message of 2010-09-25 13:00:29 +0200:

> > > I have quite a lot of (mostly enjoyable) experience writing Perl over
> > > the years, including some fairly big programs, and hardly any
> > > experience with Python (a language I dislike on instinct).  But my
> > > experience with Perl has been that returning to my own projects is
> > > harder than it should be, and harder than in languages like C and C++.
> > >
> > >  That is probably due to my own limitations, particularly when it
> > >
> > > comes to discipline, but it's empirically true in my case.
> > >
> > > The real assumption I made back there was that Python code is any
> > > easier to return to -- I haven't the experience to judge, really, I'm
> > > just going on hearsay from friends and acquaintances.
> >
> > Python actually forces you to be more disciplined. Which really make
> > returning to the code easy.
>
> Isn't this only about indentation? Indentation might be important for
> readability, but whether it's forced by the language or not doesn't seem
> to be such a big deal for me.

Don't underestimate that!

Write some non-trivial code, let it rest for 2 months (where you focus on
other things) and come back to your code. If you where displined to document a
lot, python makes it easier for you to come back to your code than other
languages I know (C, C++, javascript, basic, pascal, fortran, LabView, heck it
even simplier than pd I think).

With python it seems to be "only" intendation, but this results in clearer
structures of code and less parenthesis. Which results in a much higher
readability. Sure, you can write readable code in other languages too. But how
many people do you know that write readable code (in non-python) when the
projects deadline is only two weeks away?

And pythons inbuilt documentation-system saves you another three days of that
deadline...

Have fun,

Arnold