[LAU] OT: 64 vs 32 bit?

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Tue Sep 28 17:22:06 UTC 2010

måndag 27 september 2010 22.26.17 skrev  Josh Lawrence:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm late to the party when it comes to 64-bit machines, so apologies
> in advance if I am asking something that should be obvious...
>
> I recently purchased a 64 bit machine and like it a lot, but I've
> noticed that some software that is usually available on a 32 bit
> machine isn't available in the 64 bit repos that I am using.  Can I
> install the 32 bit version of my distro (Debian) on my 64 bit machine?
>  I'm assuming that would give me access to all 32 bit software.  It
> would also be a performance hit, correct?

Another thing you might miss on a 64-bit machine/OS is the lack of real VST
support (AFAIK) and some commercial native 64-bit Linux apps like Guitar Pro.

I made a decision to use 64 bit only; I have several big sound sample libs
(like NDK where the Hihat alone weighs more than 3.5 GB!) and did not want to
have any memory limits, so VST's just don't exists in my world. I know that's
a lot of great VST's around, I just don't care and is (in my ignorance) more
than happy with what the 64-bit world can offer without  wrappers for 32-bit
programs and wine. Well, to be honest: I miss a 64-bit version of Guitar Pro.

Jostein