[LAU] jamin (was: Albums under a label recorded and/or mixed with Linux)

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Sep 30 15:32:56 UTC 2010

On 09/30/10 15:57, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On Thu, September 30, 2010 2:22 am, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 06:43:42PM -0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps an easier way to do this in the future is to just present your
>>> evidence up front instead of trashing other peoples hard work with vague
>>> off hand and out of context remarks.
>>
>> Where did I do that ?
>
> Here's the greatest hits:
>
> "It's a good example of textbook DSP being applied blindly
> and without understanding the consequences. "
>
> "But it's a kludge, and a solution to a
> problem that shouldn't exist in the first place."
>
> "As said, there are two issues with the EQ. The first is that the
> implementation is subobtimal and introduces artefacts that have
> to be (and are to some extent) hidden by changes added after the
> initial release. The second is that this type of filtering allows
> and invites to do things that do indeed 'destroy' the sound from
> a purist POV, while adding nothing useful from any other POV."
>
> and I suppose this was just plain vindictiveness
>
> "Don't know where you get this, but I assume it's not the result
> of your own intellectual efforts and so I can just say 'bullshit'
> (the pure liquid variety actually).
>
> I won't even comment on the rest, as I'd have to be at least
> as rude :-) "
>

> Don't know why I got the impression you were being rude or anything...
>
> Must be just me.

Some of these are quite amusing and IMHO most of them justified in the
original context.

..but more importantly none of them was a personal insult.
Which can not be said about some of your comments.

If you want my take on it: pipe it into a text-to-speech synth and make
a RAP song out of it: "Parental Advisory Explicit Lyrics." Bonus points
if you manage to work Bob M's Jammin' into it and master it with jamin

Come to think of it we might even start a petition for the Unplugged
version of it featuring Fons at the next Linux Sound Night :)

peace,
robin