[LAU] Migrating to Linux - need help

mark hadman markhadman at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 30 22:38:40 UTC 2010

Pulseaudio is still in alpha and just doesn't work with m-audio
soundcards (or anything using the ICE1712 chipset). Quite why the big
distros have adopted it and still insist that it works is beyond me.

You could try bugging ubuntu or pulseaudio devs about it but many of
us have been banging our heads against that particular brick wall for
about 2.5 years now; they just keep blaming each other and/or alsa
(which is obviously not to blame cos alsa without pulse just works).
I've abandoned the otherwise brilliant Ubuntu and moved to Arch Linux
because of this ongoing farce. As a beginner with accessibility issues
I'd hesitate to recommend you doing the same.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/178442
contains various workarounds and a heck of a lot of VERY justified
griping.

PS if anyone from Canonical or Pulseaudio follows this mailing list,
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE sort it out NOW. Once and for all. The
fixes are out there, it's can't be hard from a dev's point of view.
This issue is making you all look like stubborn uncaring idiots. The
ICE1712 hardware isn't going to change, and we're not about to stop
using it.