[LAU] Music Made WIth Linux: The Infinite Repeat - The Speeding Train

rosea.grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 12:04:22 UTC 2011

On 04/01/2011 12:22 PM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> My entry for the KVR One Synth Challenge 26
> (http://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-26-zynaddsubfx):
>
> *The Infinite Repeat - The Speeding Train*
> http://linux.autostatic.com/images/2011-04/the_infinite_repeat-the_speeding_train.ogg
>
> As the One Synth Challenge rules dictate, all the instruments, sounds
> and noises are generated by ZynAddSubFX. Well, almost, because as Linux
> users we have some more choice than on other platforms. So I used 11
> ZynAddSubFX-DSSI plug-ins in Qtractor together with 3 separate Yoshimi
> instances for the voice patches that use the PADsynth engine (apparently
> the DSSI plug-in can't handle those patches). I used seq24 to trigger
> everything and Qtractor for mixing and a bit of mastering. Some external
> effects were allowed, given they are freely available and don't alter
> the original sound (so no phasers, choruses etc.). For this track I used
> Calf gates, Calf EQ, SWH SC3 sidechain compressor, AMB panner, Calf
> Vintage Delay, Freeverb reverb, Invada Stereo compressor and a fast
> lookahead limiter.
>
> Voice patches I used:
> - SuperSaw (Paul Nasca)
> - Extreme (Will J. Godfrey)
> - Bass 2 (Paul Nasca)
> - Eeooww (Will J. Godfrey)
> - Drumkit (Paul Nasca, tweaked and layered, the snare sound consists of
> 4 or 5 different snare sounds)
> - Snare 1 (M?sterious)
> - Soft Kick (AutoStatic)
> - 8 Bit Car (M?sterious)
> - Soft Ahh (Will J. Godfrey)
> - Wind and Surf (Will J. Godfrey)
> - Binary Piano 2 (Paul Nasca)
>
> The track was composed and sequenced on the train when commuting to and
> from my work. Hence the title.

Better then kedeng kedeng... ;)

I have the feeling that you should let the beat come a bit slower, e.g.
less beats at the beginning, a more slower build up of the beat, could
bring a bit more tension in it. That will fit also better with the
'aaah' patch you use there imo. The song starts to get nice at about
1:10! Maybe a bit more variation when you play that slow lick for the
second time...
Nicely done!

\r

\r