[LAU] Need to create delay or artificial latency

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Mon Apr 4 06:17:11 UTC 2011

On Monday 04 April 2011 07:55:02 Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> So puredata can't buffer 4 hours of data? Is that a limitation of  the
> available memory or the internal format or what? Ardour can records for
> at least 10 hours non stop.

Ardour records to disk, puredata's delay buffers in memory.

> Maybe ecasound is a better tool for this procedure?

A "delay" of four hours can only be implemented involving the harddisk. Unless
you have an incredible amount of ram.

I think a homebrewn solution is to use here. And that is my idea:
One app/script to record to disk and start a new file every hour with the
timestamp in the filename for debugging.
Another app to play the files at the wanted time.
That way any delay bigger then the interval of the first apps files can be
created.

Have fun,

Arnold