[LAU] Need to create delay or artificial latency

Daniel Bair daniel at familyfirstradio.net
Mon Apr 4 15:31:55 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Daniel Bair <daniel at familyfirstradio.net> wrote:
> > I have two different sized delays that I need to create.
> > 1.) I need a audio delay of no more than 4 seconds. All of the delay plugins
> > for Jack-Rack create echo. I just need a pure delay or artificial latency
> > inserted into the jack audio stream (the output needs to be delayed 4
> > seconds from the input without mixing back the input).
>
> just change the dry/wet mix to 100% wet and you'll get what you want.
I have tried that and it still makes an echo by mixing the delay back
with the original.
If you could give me the exact plugin name and exact settings that do
work I would appreciate that.

> > 2.) I need a timezone delay of no more than 4 hours. (there are no plugins
> > for Jack-Rack that do this and my attempt to create one with csladspa
> > doesn't work... I have plenty of hd space for looped storage.)
>
> more details on the use case would be appropriate. it may not be that
> a delay in the conventional sense is the right answer. or it could be.
> no way to tell.

I am using Rivendell Radio Automation and we have towers in Eastern,
Central and Pacific timezones.
We have one master output for all stations. Management wants the
output delayed for each timezone so that for example 9am content airs
at 9am in each timezone. Content is mastered for Eastern timezone and
simply needs to be delayed one hour for Central and three hours for
Pacific.

I temporarly have Rotter setup recording one hour slices of the master
output and Mplayer on a cron job playing the correct slice for the
respective timezone. BUT there is a small break when Mplayer finishes
the one slice and starts the next - which we want to avoid.

I was thinking that if a delay plugin could be created that stored a
max of four hours (not just four seconds) that this would be smoother.

Thanks,

Daniel