[LAU] UA25 noise problem w. nVidia chipset

Giso Grimm gg3137 at vegri.net
Thu Apr 7 07:45:53 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 04/07/2011 12:34 AM, Dave Phillips wrote:
> I've been working with Ardour3 on my laptop, a machine with an AMD
> Turion X2 CPU and an nVidia 8200M integrated video chipset. Recently I
> started monitoring my test recordings through the headphone output of my
> UA25 and I notice that when I move the mouse it creates scratchy sounds,
> though QJackCtl reports no xruns and my recordings are unaffected. I
> verified the problem with Ardour2 and Mixbus. It doesn't occur when I
> use the integrate audio chipset (snd-hda-intel, wahoo).

we observed exactly the same problem (only on the output of a custom
made USB sound card). The noise was spikes of varying amplitude at a
fixed rate (125ms if I remember well). Replacing the USB cable by a
shorter one significantly reduced the problem, and it also depended on
the USB ports used for mouse and sound card. On some mainboards/laptops
the noise was less then on others.

See
http://vegri.net/output_zero.png and
http://vegri.net/output_inactive.png
for output spectrum of the sound card (custom made, not UA25) when
playing zeros and when not in use.

- Giso