[LAU] Editing zynadsuxfx/yoshimi patches?

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Sat Apr 16 19:30:22 UTC 2011

Hi,

I don't have much to add to what Julien said. See comments below.

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 01:27:49PM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello Jostein1
>   first of all thanks a lot! This is really very good of you!
Yes indeed! :)

>   To answer your questions: commandline options are good enough. If
> you're thinking of anything interactive, a shell interface usually
> is the easiest. I suspect not only to use, but to program.
In general, the simpler (as per unix pholosophy) a programme is, the
more accessible it is at the same time. If it's scriptable and/or
accessible over a network connection, it's probably accessible to to
blind people as well.

>   A normal man page and --help option are marvellous! The status
> line you described will work nicely.
>   On ethought: If you encounter errors in the process, it would be
> good to give a short summary at the end about that. Because even if
> you let the lines stay on the screen, there might be a lot of output
> and so it might be dificult to find erros messages. Also I suspect
> errors might pass to quickly to be read.
Which is in fact true even for sighted people, if you have more than,
say 50 samples. Something like:
"Processed X samples in T seconds, with W warnings and E errors"
...would be great.

>   Another thing; If you do normal output, so no special ncurses
> involved, only working from commandline optios, it might be nice to
> put ALL output to stdout, so it might also be used to easily pipe to
> some pager or logged to a file.
Or better yet, a --log option which would generate full reports might be
useful, especially if processing a large library.

>   Again: Thanks a great deal, this could be a very valuable set of
> applications. If you supply good commandline options (feature rich
> enough), these apps might not only serve blind people, but also
> script writers.
Yes, I think a lot of people out there need to create SFZ files out of
their sample libraries.

Cheers,
S.M.