[LAU] New release of jack_delay

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Apr 18 21:21:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 4:52 PM, S. Massy <lists at wolfdream.ca> wrote:
> Thanks,
> Builds and runs fine on Debian Wheezy AMD64. What latency would be
> considered average? What numbers should one expect?

the "excess" value is generally on the order of several tens of
samples in each direction. it can reach as high as the low hundreds.
with USB audio (and potentially some firewire devices, the excess can
even get up into the thousands, but its dependent on a variety of
factors. this assumes you are doing the obvious thing and measuring a
loopback via a D/A and A/D converter pair.

for reference, my RME HDSP system, connected to a Frontier Designs
Tango24 converter, meaures 68 samples of total excess latency, so
about 34 in each direction.