[LAU] Music app accessibility (Was: Re: Editing zynadsuxfx/yoshimi patches?)

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Wed Apr 20 17:33:13 UTC 2011

Hello Robert!
   Well this thread is already no longer on-topic, that's why I renamed it
slightly. :-)
   It really started with the iPhones. At least, there I noticed it for the
first time. they only have their touchscreen, like many other smart phones
nowadays. So apple released their screenreader VoiceOver. They use different
gestures, like take two fingers and pull them down on the display ad the
volume is lowered. You can use your finger to move across the full screen and
read element after elemtn to you or you can activate a mode, where you can
jump ahead to every next element. So they actually started getting fame from
their phones and now they use the same system available for the notebooks. You
can use the pad - as I udnerstand - to make your gestures and use the
different modes to jump across the screen, find things, activate them and so
on. there are many more ideas to make it easier. And I've heard, that more and
more blind people change to iPhones or ipod touch, because they like it and
can be very fast with them, if they have to be. It takes some learning, but it
always takes learning, to adapt to an assistive technology. You always have to
get to know the OS and then the logic behind the accessibility software. So I
guess that's fair enough. :-)
   I never used them myself though. Not a mobile phone person and I can't
afford any notebook, not to speak of expensive macbooks. :-) Anyway, a desktop
is more reliable in the long run and can be more powerful. For the time being
I'm happy to have no mobile system.
   Warm regards
           Julien

--------