[LAU] Playing a concept album...

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sat Apr 23 22:45:00 UTC 2011

On Sunday 24 April 2011 00:32:38 lanas wrote:
>   But, once ripped to ogg files and played from a m3u source (eg.
> sequentially) there are - no surprise - small blank cuts between each
> piece, which can be  disturbing in such a context.  The context here
> being Peter Hammill's 'Incoherence' concept album.

This is simply a matter of the playing software/hardware. If your current
playback software leaves gaps between songs which you don't want, either
search the documentation and the settings on how to remove them (most apps
seem to have an option for gapless-playback) or if that fails, use a player
that can do it.

It has nothing to do with the way the mp3/ogg/flac/wav is encoded and it has
nothing to do with the kind of music (live-recordings face the same problem).

And if the album is only really meaningfull when heard in the correct order,
why rip it into distinct songs? The usual encoding-formats afaik can contain
meta-data at any point in their stream (so you see changing descriptions
through the playback). Unfortunately I don't think there are many (or any)
apps that allow to define meta-data at a certain point in time.

Have fun,

Arnold