[LAU] Playing a concept album...

Cedric Roux sed at free.fr
Tue Apr 26 09:31:02 UTC 2011

----- "lanas" <lanas at securenet.net> wrote:
>   But, once ripped to ogg files and played from a m3u source (eg.
> sequentially) there are - no surprise - small blank cuts between each
> piece, which can be  disturbing in such a context.  The context here
> being Peter Hammill's 'Incoherence' concept album.

what player?

vlc miserably failed for me while at work, so I made that:
http://sed.free.fr/player/player-0.1.tar.gz

It works *for me* so be prepared, if you try it, that you won't
like it.

It works with alsa (or oss, but well, okay, forget that).
You do: ls this/that/*.mp3 | ./play -
and there you go.
You can also do: play PLAYLIST
It uses ffmpeg to decode audio and outputs data at 44.1KHz, 16b, stereo
so it must be there somewhere in your $PATH.
Output type can be changed by editing source code. Dig for "ffmpeg" in the
source. And also change alsa settings.
The output alsa device is "default" but can be changed too.

Well, just a hack but saves my ass to remove gaps between audio
files, don't eat 500Mb of RAM, plays files with non-utf8 filenames,
all what vlc completely sucks at here for me. Oh, and skip silence
too! (those kids putting 20 minutes of silence before the funky
"hidden track" you know)

You may get gaps between files though. I wanted for months to
make a "bufferized" version but laziness you know...

HTH but probably not, just a hack I mean...

Anyway there it is, public domain shit.
C.

(ah yeah, there is an equalizer tuned for my needs into it,
maybe you'll want to remove/tune that as well)
(hell, what kind of release is that, huh?)
(maybe one day with some time a full release) (or not, laziness)