[LAU] Editing zynadsuxfx/yoshimi patches?

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Thu Apr 28 20:56:06 UTC 2011

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 08:23:42 +1000
cal <cal at graggrag.com> wrote:

> On 28/04/11 07:08, Julien Claassen wrote:
> > [ ... some more thought provoking stuff ... ]
>
> Just a couple of thoughts from the perspective of the "bear of very little brain" behind yoshimi:

At the risk of going back to the 1980s. How about a jump table, but 64bits
wide. The lower 32bits being the address offset into the table and the upper 32
bits the data - or address of data block - not that I can imagine any yoshimi
parameter value being more than 32bit!

Now I know this is not user friendly as it stands, but it is fast, relatively
easy to implement, and once it is set up you (or anyone else) can plug in
whatever translation layer is the current fashion.

For those not familiar with this sort of idea, as it is a fixed width table,
all you need to supply is a simple human-readable list describing each entry.
This is not part of the code but a separate file/document than can have just as
much waffle as you like. You don't even have to bother to put numbers on the
entries. The first item on the list obviously is the zero entry into the table
(which I always kept as the 'do nothing' entry). The second one is 64 bits
higher up the table etc.

I did something similar (in assembly language actually) for text adventure game
tests and actions on the BBC Model B. It was damn fast, and whenever I thought
of a new test/action, all I had to do was stick another address to the end of
the jump table. They didn't have to be added in any special order, but the
*table* entry could not change once entered - the final code address didn't
matter at all. It would be resolved at compile time.

My translation layer was mostly parsing verbs, nouns, adjectives etc. in text
form into the jump offsets.

Finally, the table can have some built in redundancy. In my game generator, if
I abandoned a particular action as unnecessary I never took out the jump
address, as that would have put many of the others out of step, I simply
re-routed it to a null action or a generic one.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk