[LAU] Recommended USB interface with 2 XLR inputs?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 21:27:18 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 11:15:34AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Thanks to all for the info on the UA25. One downside of this device
>> seems to be that at some sites it's listed as discontinued implying
>> the need to buy quickly if there isn't something better.
>
> One thing to consider is that Edirol's mic inputs are a bit on
> the noisy side. If it matters depends on the type of sounds you
> want to record and the mics used.
>
> With most condenser or electret mics you're more or less on the
> safe side with the contribution from the preamp being comparable
> to the one from the mic. Exceptions would be mics with really low
> self noise e.g. Shure KSM42, Neumann TLM103, AKG 414.
>
> When using dynamic mics the Edirol preamps rather than the mic's
> impedance will dominate the noise level. Again it depends on the
> application if this is problem, but for some it surely is.
>

> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA

Interesting input. Thanks.

I sold most of my mics and currently just have a pair of Rode NT1-A's
which I do like the sound of for most things. They spec 5db SPL
Self-noise whereas the KSM42 seems to spec 8.5.

Not sure what I might be recording. At home it typically is acoustic
guitar and some percussion. Live gigs - who knows - but it's typically
been larger jazz groups (8-10 players) looking for an inexpensive
stereo recording mostly for CD sales at gigs, etc.

Cheers,
Mark