[LAU] Recommended USB interface with 2 XLR inputs?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 21:33:24 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Jeremy Jongepier
<jeremy at autostatic.com> wrote:
> On 04/30/2011 12:25 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> I apologize for cross posting. I asked this on Alsa-Users a couple of
>> days ago but haven't received any responses. As it's about shopping I
>> might do this weekend I figured I'd try here also. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> I'd like to pick up something to do simple mobile recording gigs with
>> my laptop. It needs to be USB 2.0 based, have 2 XLR inputs, support
>> headphone monitoring and preferably do 96KHz.
>>
>> The M-audio Fast Track Pro seems to come closest although as I
>> understand it that device won't do 96K on all inputs and outputs at
>> the same time. Not a huge deal but one tick against for that.
>>
>> What other devices do folks suggest I take a look at?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>
> If it needs to be USB2 based your only options are afaik:
>
> - Roland/Cakewalk UA-101
> - Roland/Edirol UA-1000
> - M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
> - M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R
>
> Best,
>
> Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. I'm not really sure it has to be USB2.0 I just wrote
that originally as I'd rather buy a device that supports more
bandwidth. Really it's not necessary.

One other consideration is device power. This will be hooked to a
laptop and I'm not sure my laptop supplies SUB bus power.
Additionally, I don't know how to test that myself. It seems from
looking at the Roland site that there isn't a power connector on the
UA25 so it's possible it wouldn't work, or maybe would require some
sort of a USB hub that can supply power.

Anyone with a UA25 able to add anything along these lines?

Thanks,
Mark