[LAU] Recommended USB interface with 2 XLR inputs?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 22:32:49 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 02:27:18PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> I sold most of my mics and currently just have a pair of Rode NT1-A's
>> which I do like the sound of for most things. They spec 5db SPL
>> Self-noise whereas the KSM42 seems to spec 8.5.
>
> It's actually the combination of self noise and sensitiviy that
> matters. At 5dB(A) the NT1-A must be one the lowest noise mics
> available. Fortunately it also has quite a high sensitivity:
> -32 dBV/Pa. Combining the two means its produces -121dBV(A) of
> noise, comparable to the Edirol's EIN at maximum gain. So now
> all depends on how well the Edirol maintains its EIN at reduced
> gain. I probably could measure one next week. Really good preamps
> have a constant EIN in the top 20-25dB of their gain range, but I
> doubt if the Edirol holds up to that.

Good info. Thanks very much, and if you can measure one that would be
interesting.

>> Not sure what I might be recording. At home it typically is acoustic
>> guitar and some percussion. Live gigs - who knows - but it's typically
>> been larger jazz groups (8-10 players) looking for an inexpensive
>> stereo recording mostly for CD sales at gigs, etc.
>
> That should be OK. OTOH, I'd say mics of this class deserve
> something better...

I agree but money is quite limited right now. I was trying to burn off
about $150 that I've got tied up at NewEgg from a return that they
would only give me store credit for. I didn't want to put in much more
than $100 cash so that puts my limit somewhere around $250.

I will say that I don't require and MIDI, nor inserts. Just 2 XLR
inputs, some sort of stereo audio out would be nice if I wanted to
hook it to an external set of monitors, and a headphone jack that I
can use at times.

I am somewhat concerned about the bus powered class of devices myself.
I don't have any experience there and want to be careful about that.

Cheers,
Mark