[LAU] Recommended USB interface with 2 XLR inputs?

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Sat Apr 30 22:36:39 UTC 2011

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 17:55:59 -0400
Thomas Vecchione <seablaede at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark-
>
>  What about a Sound Devices USBPre2?  They list class compliance, it
> is USB2, I suspect it is thusly USB2 Class Compliant so it likely has
> a good chance of working well with Linux, and of course they also list
> Linux compatibility on their site.  I have been looking strongly at it
> myself, though I ahven't contacted them yet to verify compliance and
> make sure there are no limitations.
>
>     Seablade

Well this one looks interesting but it's ucking expensive. Also, from the blurb
on their site is seems it is limited to 24bit 48k on Linux

"As a class-compliant audio device, the USBPre 2 is limited to a maximum data
rate of 24-bit, 48 kHz in Windows, Linux, and Mac OS versions 10.4 to 10.5.7.
Mac OS 10.5.8 and higher support the audio class 2.0 device and can address the
USBPre 2 up to 24-bit, 192 kHz.

To enable higher sampling rates in Windows OS, download the available Windows
ASIO driver."

For me, it's also significant overkill and I have an very nice little analogue
mixer so all I really want is straight I/O - but nobody seems to do that :(

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk