[LAU] paulstretch, python/commandline

Atte André Jensen atte at email.dk
Mon Aug 1 09:30:43 UTC 2011

Hi

The picky program I was playing with in the recent thread was
paulstretch. I always had trouble running it but I just found that there
seems to be a commandline python version available. But unfortunately,
it wasn't that simple. There are three versions available:

https://github.com/paulnasca/paulstretch_python

I was only able to make paulstretch_stereo.py do something, and only on
mono files in "Microsoft PCM" wav format.

So I made a wrapper in python that is more robust + inputs all the
formats handled by mplayer and outputs all formats handled by sox, I
placed it here: http://atte.dk/paulstretch

To use it you need to
1) save http://atte.dk/paulstretch in your path and make it executable
2) get paulstretch_stereo.py:
$ git clone https://github.com/paulnasca/paulstretch_python.git
3) place the files (at least paulstretch_python.py) in your path
4) install numpy, scipy:
sudo pacman -S python2-scipy python2-numpy

If anyone want's to play along, that'd be fun! Any findings regarding
Pauls python scripts would be great. For instance I convert input to
mono, but the result is stereo! I imagine keeping the file in stereo
would result in better sounding results. Also, I tried to be clever and
check for numpy and scipy in my wrapper, but since Pauls scripts run in
python2 only, and python here (arch) falls back to python3, I found no
way (elegant) to check if the python2 versions of numpy and scipy are
installed from python3...

We could (should?) maybe start patching Pauls scripts at some point, but
this just to be able to do something usable with it, in the first place...

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk