[LAU] In praise of AVLinux

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Aug 2 09:12:55 UTC 2011

Ken Restivo wrote:
> I really like AVLinux and I want to thank everyone on here who's been
> recommending it to various people for a long time.
>
> It's a Debian remix, basically, so I'm right at home. It's solid and
> it has everything I need, plus it's easy to bring in the straight
> Debian repositories so I can put on it whatever I'm used to from
> Debian-land.

OK, booted an AVLinux 5 DVD on my little musicbox laptop (Toshiba
Satellite with 2.8GHz Celeron, 798MB RAM, Intel chipset, UCA202 USB
soundcard).

> I'm now using it on my own studio machine, and I set it up for a
> customer in a relatively very short time, got him up and running on
> an old PC with no hassles. The RT kernels from the AVLinux website
> worked; no tweezing required, no kernel compilation required.

Oh, they must not include those on the DVD. Was wondering why it was
running just a straight kernel.

> The docs are good.

Have to take your word for that.

> And there are nifty non-audio extras there like a
> whole choice of video editors, so I dipped my toes into video editing
> a little bit, which was fun.

JACK wouldn't run on my musicbox hardware here (gave me many messages
saying it couldn't unregister DebugModule) until I changed periods from
2 to 3. Never had JACK refuse to run simply because of a period setting.

Minor thing: there were no bank or preset directories set up for
Yoshimi, yet they were there at the usual location.

But it is snappy, even on this old hardware. And gave me no overruns
during my fooling around. Better than the Debian setup running on my
regular laptop! Assuming I can get the network connection working, so I
can install the RT kernel, I'll have to try it out.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community