[LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

Rob lau at kudla.org
Tue Aug 2 21:07:49 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 02 August 2011 15:47, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> - Well, I work for Creative Commons Foundation
> - Ah, right. That's the thing that Trent Raznor came up with, eh?
> - ???!!!

And that demonstrates the problem with trying to recruit bigger-name
artists to use free software... in the case of Creative Commons, it made
the news not because it was a liberal license, but because "Eccentric rock
star who was popular 10 years ago (remember, this was before he became an
Oscar-winning composer) releases his latest album for free! Film at 11!"
The people who cared that they were legally allowed to non-commercially
remix and redistribute his material were going to do so whether it was
legal or not.

How would people even hear about, say, Radiohead making their album with
Ardour?  Would their engineer post to a forum or something?  Would the band
even be aware of it themselves?  As others have mentioned, it's not going
to appear in most of the industry or enthusiast rags because it directly
threatens their bottom lines, it's too esoteric for the tech news sites for
the most part, except the Linux-focused ones, and it isn't usually the kind
of thing that comes up when you're talking to a Vanity Fair reporter about
your effort to save the African marmot while sipping a wheatgrass martini.

Personally, I'm looking forward to an onslaught of Android pro audio free
software, to which I hope to contribute, since I get musically inspired
when I'm not at my laptop a lot more than when I am.

Rob