[LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

michael noble looplog at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 07:35:43 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 8:36 AM, michael noble  wrote:
>
> "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" (c) S. Freud
>
> :)))

And paraphrasing Magritte, sometimes a pipe is not a pipe.

:P

> I really hope you were joking when you wrote that. Linux audio tools
> of 2011 are not functionally equivalent to commercial solutions of
> 2011. Or you will have to own up that you use a tiny fraction of
> features :)

Hence I said "at best", meaning, in the best case scenario some FOSS
tools may be functionally equivalent. I think the exception might be
JACK, as the case could be made that it is functionally superior to
any other inter-application audio and midi routing framework.

> I'm attracted by ideas and technologies. I don't have a habit of going
> around and making a face if an interesting technology turns out to be
> proprietary. You can't really tell someone (s)he isn't smart and the
> idea isn't worth a penny just because his/her software isn't under GPL
> (well, you can, but most people would think you are an asshole who
> deserves a thrashing).

So then, out of curiosity more than anything else, why do Linux-based
proprietary products not fit in with a discussion about the promotion
of Linux as a platform for audio production?

-michael