[LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

pshirkey at boosthardware.com pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Aug 3 09:35:53 UTC 2011

> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 1:01 PM, James Morris wrote:
>
>> Developers should develop software, end of.
>
> In an imaginary perfect world where there is no pain and death :)
>
>> A lot of free software is developed on a voluntary basis, because the
>> developer wants to, not because they're paid.
>
> Exactly. There is no rule that works for everyone.
>
>> You have no right to tell these developers it is their job to go chasing
>> government contracts.
>
> I think you got it entirely wrong. I was appealing to people who want
> to make a change.
> It would be a bit silly to expect people who are happy with status quo
> to suddenly go crazy and change their lives, no?
>
> This is not about people having rights to tell other people anything.
> It's about whether we are happy with current state of affiars and how
> much we are ready to do to get closer to our dream.
>
> Novacut team got over 25K via Kickstarter recently. Would that cover
> cost of production of a good sample library? Or a port of some synths
> to LV2? Or finishing A3? Hell, yes. How did they do it? Appealing
> project + marketing.
>
> I'm all for getting all sorts of professionals involved, but here and
> now if we want to get anything done and we can't find people who are
> better at design, usability and marketing than us, then we can either
> keep moaning or bloody well study the stuff the best we can.
>
> Do you think usability architects focus on just usability? No, they
> study every-fucking-thing that is even remotely related to human
> beings and the world around us: art, architecture. physics etc.

Some of us are better at some disciplines than others. Almost none of us
are in a position to work together as a team without some financial
backing as an incentive.

What makes me laugh is that we are all very technically minded people but
we can't seem to figure out how to nail our presence to the internet to
drive an increase in the user base.

We are all just sitting waiting for the userbase to naturally build. There
have been some spurts over the past 10 years and momentum in building but
nothing along the lines of what we as professionals are actually capable
of achieving in our paid jobs.

We need more people with Alexandre's drive if we want to see a substantial
increase in the userbase and the follow on affects in funding and
contributions that will result.