[LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 10:23:43 UTC 2011

Urrrgghhh. Believe it or not, there was some sensible point I was
trying to raise, but it eluded me as usual.

<blah blah blah>
>>> You have no right to tell these developers it is their job to go chasing
>>> government contracts.
>>
>> I think you got it entirely wrong. I was appealing to people who want
>> to make a change.
>
> Does "That means quitting the dangerous `I'm just a programmer'
> attitude" really sound like an appeal to people in general to you?
>
> Is it not surprising I instead interpreted it as a dig directed at
> developers, insinuating them to be insular and stubborn?
>
> (Which some of them probably are, but that's not surprising
> considering the existence of bloggers).

Ignore the bloggers comment. I'm insular and stubborn about my coding
because I need to be. It's a practical defence mechanism so I can
actually settle down and do some coding rather than worry about a
myriad of interferences.

>> I'm all for getting all sorts of professionals involved, but here and
>> now if we want to get anything done and we can't find people who are
>> better at design, usability and marketing than us, then we can either
>> keep moaning or bloody well study the stuff the best we can.
>
> Fine, just don't take digs at developers who would rather develop
> software. Believe it or not, many developers

Believe it or not, many developers do actually want to make usable software.

>> Do you think usability architects focus on just usability? No, they
>> study every-fucking-thing that is even remotely related to human
>> beings and the world around us: art, architecture. physics etc.
>
> Well let's all hail the new saviours! My, how big their brains must be!

So let's get this straight: Developers should stop moaning and just
get on and study the entire spectrum of human endeavour while
simultaneously developing usable software? Perhaps you should come up
with some usable ideas.

>>> Such activities are much better suited to people with big strong forceful
>>> opinionated personalities such as yourself.
>>
>> Me? No, I'm as humble as a lamb :)
>
> So you don't want to help developers by chasing government contracts for them?

And there's the precarious nature of government based funding to
consider. See what's happening to education in the UK. Government and
council cuts everywhere.