[LAU] Social Media (was: An appeal to famous artists?)

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 21:59:03 UTC 2011

On 08/04/2011 10:55 PM, Sebastian Moors wrote:
> On 04.08.2011 21:39, Aurélien Leblond wrote:
>> 2. More interrestingly, the "appeal to famous artists" didn't seem to
>> be well received... What seems to come out though is that although the
>> FOSS community seems to be good to produce software, we don't seem to
>> be good at advertising it :)
>> - Ardour has...49 followers on facebook... Nothing on the wall...
>> - Hydrogen...94...and one entry on the wall...
>> - Couldn't find a # tag for any of these on Twitter...

Unbelievable that we are missing the chances here. You would expect that
opensource projects (like Ardour) see these social media as a godsend.
> Hi Aurélien,
>
> as a developer of hydrogen let me chime in here.. I think it could be
> a good idea
> to think a little bit about the "marketing" of our applications. At
> the moment
> the presentation of hydrogen is more or less restricted to our
> homepage and our mailing lists.
Underground! ;)
> I've posted rarely to a facebook group (i think you didn't find it),
> but that was all. It's hard and cumbersome to use all channels at once
> (twitter, google+, etc...) if all you want to do is publish a release
> notification or something like this..
There are social media clients which can handle multiple accounts very
well. One message will be posted on all your accounts (e.g. twitter,
identica, facebook, ...)
>> I know I know, we are not advertisers, we are developers!
>> But what if a small group of us (and yeah, including me :)) would do
>> that?
Right, not all developers are good in marketing or project management
(binding users, cooperation with other devs, donations etc.). But why
not ask a enthusiastic user to start a twitter account for the project
and report news, howtos and interact with users/ reviewers etc.

Regards,
\r