[LAU] Subject=Re: community pages

Sebastian Moors mauser at smoors.de
Fri Aug 5 09:29:14 UTC 2011

On 05.08.2011 11:17, pshirkey at boosthardware.com wrote:
>>> I'm thinking we can do something even more complete than the planet
>>> feeds.
>>> Definitely automated updates on content will be a big part of it though.
>> Is that really what we want though? Automatic feeds?
>>
>> When I started to use Linux few years back to produce music, what I
>> wanted to know is: what software to use, what can they do, few
>> audio/video examples to judge by myself if that was what I was looking
>> for.
>>
>> I stumbled accross a few of these automatic generated feeds, and to be
>> honest they didn't tell me much.
>>
>> Shouldn't we start by deciding the audience we want to reach?
>> We don't really want to "advertise" to the advanced users, they
>> already know where to look.
>> And I'm afraid the "newbe" would be overwhelmed by an automatic feed.
>>
>> What I had in mind was this:
>> - A single campaign on facebook/twitter/google+ around the major
>> actors of FOSS music software (like Ardour, LMMS, Hydrogen, etc...)
>> - A simple message
>> - And see how that goes to repeat the experience (or not!)
>>
> For a social media campaign to get any momentum we will need to have a
> nice landing page for people to view the message and tweet/post to make it
> trend.
  I could think of a "meta-page" which includes short descriptions of
linux audio programs along with screenshots and videos in a fancy
layout. And, what would be more important for me, informations about how
those applications can interact.
The other thing that is interesting for newbie is a recommendation for
hardware. Just recommend one or two device per category (usb, fw, pci..)
that are working well.
I would love such a page. And i don't speak about another forum here..
- Sebastian