[LAU] Subject=Re: community pages

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 11:11:02 UTC 2011

On 08/05/2011 12:57 PM, Harry van Haaren wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 11:43 AM, rosea grammostola
> <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com <mailto:rosea.grammostola at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I am not a marketing expert, but words like 'Linux', 'FLOSS' might
>     be frightening people. 'Opensource', 'Ardour' and 'Ubuntu' (and
>     probably Creative Commons) are words which lay much better in 'the
>     market'...
>

> I cannot begin to describe how much I disagree with "rebranding" what
> is being done to make it go big. Sure "open source" is a nice term,
> and "create commons" is too, but one should stand with what it is that
> your *actually doing*, and dimming it down for people getting into the
> scene is not going to improve the situation in the long run. Turning
> them into a veteran linux audio guys: that's a better goal.
To become a veteran you have to become a newbie first. When we put
LinuxMusicians.com on air, we got the same replies. But I think
LinuxMusicians.com has proven to be a nice starting platform for newbies
who explore the possibilities of Linuxaudio. For some it's a nice
pre-step for the LAU mailinglist.

I think we could do both. Helping newbies and turning people into
veteran linuxaudio guys. But both aims needs a different approach.

> Restating: I disagree with the idea of "marketing" names for what we
> do. People will be draw to the comunity *because* of what we do, not
> because of *how we brand* what we do.
>
>     The guys from LMMS for example (as other projects), could mention
>     that account when posting a message.
>     'LMMS 0.9 is out! Grab it at http://lmms.org #lmms
>     #opensourceaudio @opensourceaudio'
>

> That's not a bad idea. And its being done already to some degree,
> check @linuxsound, it posts links to all LAU mails. If we done the
> same for the LAA list, that might suffice for the "Grab it here" style
> messages?
Messages @linuxsound and LAA are not very well suited for 'newbies'
imho. I would even avoid them on such a centralized twitter account.

\r