[LAU] Subject=Re: community pages

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 11:16:17 UTC 2011

On 08/05/2011 12:59 PM, pshirkey at boosthardware.com wrote:
>>> Is that really what we want though? Automatic feeds?
>>>
>>> When I started to use Linux few years back to produce music, what I
>>> wanted to know is: what software to use, what can they do, few
>>> audio/video examples to judge by myself if that was what I was looking
>>> for.
>>>
>>> I stumbled accross a few of these automatic generated feeds, and to be
>>> honest they didn't tell me much.
>>>
>>> Shouldn't we start by deciding the audience we want to reach?
>>> We don't really want to "advertise" to the advanced users, they
>>> already know where to look.
>>> And I'm afraid the "newbe" would be overwhelmed by an automatic feed.
>>>
>>> What I had in mind was this:
>>> - A single campaign on facebook/twitter/google+ around the major
>>> actors of FOSS music software (like Ardour, LMMS, Hydrogen, etc...)
>>> - A simple message
>>> - And see how that goes to repeat the experience (or not!)
>>>
>>> I still agree that we should centralize the action though!
>>>

>> If only the project Ardour would manage to become active and known on
>> social media (twitter, youtube channel), then you are almost there.
>> Other projects are too small likely to get much attention. A chance
>> might be to have a centralized account for such small projects.
>>

> This is the right idea.
>
>> I am not a marketing expert, but words like 'Linux', 'FLOSS' might be
>> frightening people. 'Opensource', 'Ardour' and 'Ubuntu' (and probably
>> Creative Commons) are words which lay much better in 'the market'...
>>
>> Possible names for a centralized account:
>>
>> OpenSourceAudio
>> OpenSourceMusic
>> OpenSourceMusicians
>> Linuxaudio
>> Linuxaudio.org
>> LinuxMusicians
>> Linuxmusicians.com
>>
>> A account @twitter&  @Identica to start with?
>>
>> The guys from LMMS for example (as other projects), could mention that
>> account when posting a message.
>>
>> 'LMMS 0.9 is out! Grab it at http://lmms.org #lmms #opensourceaudio
>> @opensourceaudio'
>>
>> This message can then be retweeted by the centralized account.
>>
> If you set up the account I can setup the retweet on the centralised meta
> landing page server...
It's *social* media. That means it works when you interact with people.
A centralised meta landing page server, might be a good example what
doesn't work. It's technically great, but socially very bad. :)

Of course we could do that for such a account, but then social
interaction should be done by project accounts (like MuseScore is doing
nicely).

\r