[LAU] Subject=Re: community pages

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Fri Aug 5 12:05:32 UTC 2011

On 08/05/2011 10:56 AM, Aurélien Leblond wrote:
> Is that really what we want though? Automatic feeds?
>
> When I started to use Linux few years back to produce music, what I
> wanted to know is: what software to use, what can they do, few
> audio/video examples to judge by myself if that was what I was looking
> for.
>
> I stumbled accross a few of these automatic generated feeds, and to be
> honest they didn't tell me much.
>
> Shouldn't we start by deciding the audience we want to reach?
> We don't really want to "advertise" to the advanced users, they
> already know where to look.
> And I'm afraid the "newbe" would be overwhelmed by an automatic feed.
>
> What I had in mind was this:
> - A single campaign on facebook/twitter/google+ around the major
> actors of FOSS music software (like Ardour, LMMS, Hydrogen, etc...)
> - A simple message
> - And see how that goes to repeat the experience (or not!)
>
> I still agree that we should centralize the action though!
>
> Aurélien

Centralization would be a good thing I think, information is now too
scattered. It would be very nice if there would be a single portal site
that would contain at least links to all the relevant information.
Only... this is a huge task I fear. And we'd need a good CMS for that
with a ditto good CSS template. And as Patrick pointed out regarding a
centralized account, it also needs a name, personally I think
LinuxAudio.org is the right place for such a site (if only because it's
a self-maintained site, so not hosted by a commercial hosting service).
I'm not very much in favor of widening the scope to all open source
audio related information, that would drastically increase the workload
for those maintaining such a site.

Best,

Jeremy