[LAU] Subject=Re: community pages

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 15:10:33 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Aurélien Leblond <blablack at gmail.com> wrote:

> The company I work for produce software (a very VERY big company), and
> they have a whole department for branding.
>
> I know it is "sad", and as a developer, I feel that "if it is a good
> software, they will come"...
>
> But...not so...

I'll easily belive that a big company has a whole department for branding.
But I think this is a little out of the context of what I initially said.

I'm a single developer, working on my hobby project because I enjoy it and
like to use it. Would I like it if more pople used it? Yeah sure. Am I going
to go overboard rebranding my software to seem like the commercial /
proprietary alternatives, and try and attract attention to my project in
this way? I won't.

On the other hand, would I use the #linuxaudio tag to publicize a release /
update? Yes. I have no problem with *publicizing* information, and perhaps
even purposefully targeting it at a certain audience (whether they be
beginners or veterans), as this doesn't affect the information itself. But
changing the information that is being spread around *for the purpose of
promotion* is not something I think is a good idea.

May be rebranding is the wrong idea though.

I think so :)
-Harry