[LAU] Theremin sound

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Fri Aug 12 10:03:02 UTC 2011

On 08/12/2011 07:44 PM, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello Everyone!
> It's perhaps a bit off topic. But how to best go about creating a
> Theremin sound? I mean, I've tried, but with very mixed results. I'm
> still not sure about the basic waveform to choose. Should it be sine or
> highly smoothed/filtered sawtooth? The vibrating aspect of the sound: Go
> for vibrato or tremolo or both? What do you say?

I'd try a sine wave, with vibrato (ie; an LFO modulating the pitch), and
a significant portamento time -- that, with maybe some manual pitch
bend, should hopefully get you close enough. Having the mod wheel set up
to modulate the amount of vibrato could be useful, too -- I *think* Calf
Monosynth from git will allow you to do all of that.

As for the sound itself, the plain sine wave may sound a bit weak, but
some very subtle distortion (from something like TAP Tubewarmth) should
help.

Thanks
Leigh